Does my dog need a license?
- Yes. All dogs four (4) months of age or older must be licensed. Cat
licensing is available on a voluntary basis. Back to top
Why should I get a license for my dog?
The primary reason is to prevent the spreading of rabies. Rabies is a health
threat and is 100% fatal for humans if not treated properly. Animal licensing
helps the City of Hermosa Beach monitor compliance with local and state
rabies vaccination laws. And a license is a lost dog's ticket home! When
your dog has its license attached to its collar, its assigned license
number is all that is necessary for our Animal Control to identify the
dog's owner. The fees from licensing are used to care for animals and
investigate complaints about stray animals, among other services. Back to top
How often does the license have to be renewed?
- Dog licenses must be renewed annually. Licenses are valid October 1 thru September 30 of each year. Back to top
How much does an online dog license cost?
- The base fee for an annual license is set by the City. A license may
also be assessed a late penalty if it is purchased outside the standard
registration period. Besides these fees, a convenience fee is added to a
license bought online. The fee is listed on the website as the 'Online Fee'. Back to top
How do I get a replacement license?
- If you or your pet loses a license, you can request a replacement license
from the Finance Cashier's Office. Back to top
What if I move?
- If you move, please contact the Finance Cashier's Office to have your account inactivated. Back to top
Does the City have access to my credit card information?
- No. Credit card information is not available to the City. If for any
reason your credit card cannot be processed, you will be notified via email
or telephone to verify credit card information and to make any necessary
corrections. Credit card orders for dog licenses are not be accepted over
the telephone. Back to top
How will I know that my order was placed?
- You will see a confirmation page with a transaction number after completing
the check-out. You should print or save this page for your records. If
you provided an email address during check-out, a copy of the confirmation
page will be emailed to you upon submitting. Back to top
How long does it typically take before I receive my dog license?
- Your tag will be mailed within 10 business days from the day your completed
license application and payment are received. Please allow an additional
3-5 business days to receive your tag in the mail. If correct payment or
proper documentation has not been received by the City, you will be notified
via mail and the processing of your license will be delayed. The charge will
be posted to your credit card once Finance Cashier has approved your order. Back to top