Does my dog need a license?
- Yes. All dogs six (6) months of age or older must be licensed. Back to top
Why should I get a license for my dog?
- It’s required by Massachusetts General Laws and Town bylaws. A license
is also a lost dog's ticket home! When your dog has its license attached
to its collar, its assigned license number is all that is necessary for
our office to identify the dog's owner. Furthermore, substantial fines
may incurred for having an unlicensed dog as required by state law and Town Bylaws. Back to top
How often does the license have to be renewed?
- Dog licenses must be renewed annually. Licenses are valid January 1 thru December 31. Back to top
How much does an online dog license cost?
- The base fee for an annual license is set by the Town. A license may
also be assessed a late penalty if it is purchased outside the standard
registration period. Besides these fees, a convenience fee is added to a
license bought online. The fee is listed on the website as the 'Online Fee'. Back to top
How do I get a duplicate license?
- If you or your pet loses a license, you can request a duplicate license from the
Town Clerk. Back to top
What if I move?
- If you move outside the Town of Belchertown, have a current license for your dog, and
remain in the state, you need to purchase a Transfer License from the municipality
of where you moved. If you move into Belchertown from elsewhere in the state and have
a current license from your past jurisdiction, you need to purchase a Transfer License
from the Town of Belchertown. Back to top
How do I know that purchasing a license online is safe?
- The system is
compliant and uses industry-standard technology for the secure handling
of user and credit card information. All passwords and credit card
numbers are encrypted. Hard drives are encrypted.
During a transaction any sensitive data is transported via SSL.
Firewalls guard against intrusion. Any unnecessary server application
is turned off. Periodic scans by a third-party are done to detect
vulnerabilities and maintain PCI DSS compliance. Back to top
Does the Town of Belchertown have access to my credit card information?
- No. Credit card information is not made available to the Town. If for any reason
your credit card cannot be processed, you will be notified via email or telephone and
asked to verify credit card information. Credit card orders for dog licenses
are not be accepted over the telephone. Back to top
How will I know that my order was placed?
- You will see a confirmation page with a transaction number after completing
the check-out. You should print or save this page for your records. Back to top
How long does it typically take before I receive my dog license?
- Licenses are sent through postal mail and should arrive within 10 business days. The
charge will be posted to your credit card at time of registration. Contact us if your
dog license doesn't reach you within this period. Back to top